Deformed nose due to nasal contracture
- When inflammation generated after rhinoplasty, is initially not
- treated but left and then inner nose will get scarring which
- leads to become harden tissue and have nasal contracture.
- In this case, Grand’s revision for correcting deformed nose
- resulted from nasal contracture.
- What is nasal contracture?
- This is the phenomenon that tissues in the nose is shrunk so
- nose becomes shorter and upturned
- The deformed shape of nose is seemingly affected onto nose tip with getting pointy,
- higher, blunt or shorter.
- A certain method should be selected for revision, which follows from assessing the exact
- cause of the problem. To do so, revision should be done by a plastic surgery specialist who
- has extensive experiences in performing nose revision so that satisfactory results can be expected.
- Be removed after softening contracted tissues being harden.
- Collapsed nose needs to be reconstructed with septal cartilage or
- ear cartilage (or costal cartilage if needed), which is followed
- by using an implant. (if required, dermal fat can be used)
Upturned nose due to nasal contracture
(contracted nose, shrunken nose)
- The inserted implant that is the cause of inflammation should be removed. Instead, autologous tissues which are
- stronger against inflammation such as autologous dermis, fat or rib cartilage, or new implant should be used. As nose
- tip is obviously upturned, correcting it by using septal cartilage or rib cartilage should be done as well.
How to perform the revision for deformed nose with the cause of nasal contracture
- For nose bridge- we use Gore-Tex and artificial silicon
- For nose tip- we use autologous cartilage from nasal septum and ear
- (Different type of material can be used depending on the nose shape and thickness of the skin)
Post-operative care for rhinoplasty is also important!
- Ice-pack applying right after the surgery is helpful to reduce swelling.
- After the surgery, swelling and bruises are shown differently in individuals. Avoid putting down your head or lying faced down
- while sleeping. It is also helpful to support your back and neck with 2-3 soft pillows for reducing swelling or pain when sleeping.
- You may have nosebleeds for initial 1-2 days from the surgery day. If nose-bleeding, please wipe out with clean tissues.
- After the surgery, your nose needs to be fixed with taping till the nose settles down. (Do not take off the tapes voluntarily.)
- After the surgery, drinking alcohol and smoking should be avoided for at least 3 weeks because they make scar healing prolonged.
- After the surgery, blowing your nose should be avoided and wearing glasses or sunglasses should not be done for a month.
- Major swelling will almost go away after a week from nose bridge while minor swelling will still remain on glabellas and nose tip.
- These swelling will be shown differently and recovered slowly according to individuals.
- Going for sauna or hot spring should be avoided for 3 weeks.
Every patient has the swelling after the surgery but there will be differences depending on individual constitution